Saturday, March 13, 2010

In Search of a Big Girl Bed

Let’s start with a moment of silence for the innocent furniture victims whose lives I cut short: 1 recliner, 1 plastic lawn chair (honest only 1), 1 tree house step, 1 wooden dining room chair, 2 couches, 2 box springs, and 1 metal bed frame.

You know how difficult it is to find JUST a box spring??? Probably about as difficult as it is to get information from IKEA.

My current full size bed is 7 years old. My mom bought it for me after I had major surgery. At the time I had given up on bed frames and had my broken box spring and mattress on my floor. When my mom bought my current bed she bought an extra support beam. Thanks Mom!

However, it wouldn’t matter how many support beams were underneath because the beams tip over. Currently, both beams are tipped over so I am only supported by the perimeter frame…and it’s still holding up!!! But, the frame has wheels, and my floors are wooden. It’s the easily shifting frame that causes the beams to fall. I could just be turning over in bed, the wheels move, the beams fall. It’s annoying. Also, I got rid of the brass headboard two moves ago because it never stayed secure to the frame.

In the end, I decided I want/need a new bed. I don’t have a lot of $$$ for this. I want to keep the mattress so I figure just stay with full size for now and in few more years I can upgrade to a queen bed (or king…I think that discussion is still on the table).

So looking around I found IKEA has some inexpensive bed frames. I have bought several chests of drawers, office chair, and other items from IKEA and have been impressed. But a bed? I mean a chest of drawers made out of particle board and foil is one thing…but a bed?

I asked for some opinions. I Googled. Then I did what any smart person would do and I asked IKEA!

I flat out told them what I weighed and asked for the weight limit/capacity of the two beds I was interested in.

This was there reply:

Hello Sarah,

Thank you for taking the time to contact us.


This product does not have a published weight limit. It is a well designed product and will provide good function for which it is designed. The design, weight capacity and function of each product undergoes test to ensure the product will hold up to normal use. If the product is used for something other than the designed function, IKEA is not responsible for loss to personal injury or property.

We do hope that this information has been helpful, and we thank you for your inquiry.

Best Regards,
IKEA Customer Care Center

So can I get the weight capacity at which you test the product??? And what is “normal use”. My mind could twist that in all sorts of directions. But basically I want to know, will the bed hold my fat ass and an occasional slumber party buddy?

Today I’m going to IKEA and jumping on beds. If I get arrested for vandalism, please someone post my bail.

UPDATE
Withing minutes of posting this blog entry IKEA replied to my follow-up e-mail I sent last night asking if I could get the tested weight capacity. I think it's just coincidence.

Hello Sarah,

Thank you for your reply. We are glad to hear from you again.

As the weight in a bed is generally not motionless an exact weight limit cannot be determined. However, for full beds the largest weight that has been placed on these beds is 440 lbs so we would not recommend exceeding that weight.

We do hope that this information has been helpful, and we thank you for your inquiry.


Best Regards,
IKEA Customer Care Center

As the weight in a bed is generally not motionless <---- I'll be have myself. As for the 440lbs...guess that means no slumber party buddy. =(

1 comment:

  1. I still keep my mattresses on the floor. In fact, I'm due for some new ones.

    ReplyDelete