Tuesday, January 19, 2010

It's the most wonderful time of the year!


Thin Mints, Caramel Delights, Peanut Butter Patties...oh yes; it's Girl Scout Cookie time!

While the names may have changed over the years, your desire for these annual edibles has not.

Lucky for me, the troops in South Florida peddle their wares outside of Publix, so I don't have to order and wait for my Thin Mint fix. Now I know people who fear this time of year because these cookies are SO GOOD they can't control themselves and eat an entire sleeve of Thin Mints. I used to do that, eat an entire sleeve of Thin Mints, it's easy to do without even realizing you are doing it and of course today a sleeve doesn't have as many cookies as before.

So these cute little cookie pushers must be avoided at all costs. Right?

Or, we could find a little self control.

I often wonder which takes more self control: to completely restrict ourselves from foods we "love" or to learn to "love" the food in a better way?

I often hear people say "I don't even bring it into the house, because I don't want the temptation". That's all well and good but then what happens when someone brings some to work? Often they will give in and eat too many then BLAME the person who brought the evil into the office.

First, don't blame others for your actions. I was once blamed for someone eating an entire jar of peanut butter, because I had posted about this great natural flavor. The person loved it so much they finished a jar in 2 days and this was somehow MY fault. While I on the other hand also LOVED the peanut butter but was able to enjoy it with an occasional apple...not eat the entire jar with a spoon.

So back to the cookies. I feel stronger knowing I can keep an entire box of Thin Mints in my freezer (because we all know that is the BEST way to eat them) and eat them 2-4 at a time (4 is a serving) with a glass of skim milk. I'm sure some will argue that cookies are not good for you regardless of whether you can control your portion or not. True, I could find a better dessert or snack option. But avoiding the temptation Girl Scout cookies is nearly impossible and enjoying the occasional treat lessens the possibility of an all out gorge.

Also, I like to have my cake and eat it too...so the longer I can make a box last, the longer I get to enjoy the cookies.

In the spirit of full disclosure I must state I was a Girl Scout for 8 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment