Saturday, April 3, 2010

Seven

I don’t really believe in luck, well I don’t believe I have any luck…except bad luck.


But if you asked me for a lucky number, I’m going to say 7. I just like that number. I’m #7 in my family, born in 1977.

Today I’m 7 years post-op RNY gastric bypass surgery and I am lucky to be alive.

I sometimes have to remind myself of that.

Yesterday, I found myself questioning if surgery was worth having. There I was once again having a diagnostic test, my 5th upper GI in 7 years, and I thought “is this what my future will be? How many tests will I need during my life to check for possible complications of surgery?” Then I went to an appointment with a friend who has lost over 150lbs on his own. The receptionist in the office asked him if he had “the surgery” and he replied, “No, my insurance wouldn’t cover it, so I did it the old fashioned way”. I razzed him a bit about saying that, but honestly it doesn’t bother me because everyone is different.

But it did make me think more about if having weight loss surgery was worth it. And the answer is had I not had surgery and lost the weight I did, when I did, I wouldn’t be here typing this right now. The mini-stroke I had in 2004 would have been a full blown stroke and I would have died in my small town hospital. I have many medical issues and only a few have been a result of surgery.

No comments:

Post a Comment